This guide brings web and library sources on African Internet Governance Forum into one unique finding tool. The links to third party websites do not imply endorsement by the ECA.
Building on the United Nations (UN) Millennium Development Goals, and the mandate given at the Second Phase of the World Summit on the Information Society in Tunis (WSIS), IGF is a United Nations led-activity initiated in 2006 as a global platform for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue on prevailing and emerging issues on Internet governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security, stability, and development of the Internet.
The Internet Governance space in Africa has been very active during the WSIS process with regional meetings held from 2002 to 2005 in Bamako, Accra, Addis Ababa, Cairo, Johannesburg, Douala and Tunis. Moreover, within the IGF global initiative, Africa has hosted IGF in Egypt (2009) and in Kenya (2011)
4th African Internet Governance Forum
The African Union Commission (AUC) in cooperation with the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) organized the fourth African Internet Governance Forum (AfIGF 2015) from 6 to 8 September 2015 at the AUC New Conference Center in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, following the Ministerial Conference on Communication and ICT (CCICT-1) scheduled from 30 August to 4 September 2015.
The 4th African Internet Governance Forum (AfIGF) was held from 6-8 September 2015, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. There were five pre-conference workshops for AfIGF 2015.
- WSIS + 10: APC in cooperation with the Ministry of CIT of Egypt, AUC, ISOC, KICTANet
- Access to Information and Knowledge – The African Virtual Library & Information Network (AVLIN): ECA
- The Internet and Human Rights: Access to the Internet in Africa as a fundamental human right – NEPAD Agency
- Capacity building needs for IG and Internet public policy dialogues - NEPAD Agency
- UNESCO’s Priority Africa and the Internet Study – Relevance to Human Rights online
Presentations / Documents
- African Internet Governance Forum (AfIGF) by Girma Dessalegn - AfIGF Secretariat
- Identifying resources for ASKIA: by Antonin Benoît DIOUF | Mohamed Timoulali
The African Internet Governance Forum - AfIGF 2015 http://afigf.org/
06 – 08 September 2015
Africa Union Commission HQ
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Click link below for the Outcome Document